In order to effectively use the CFITSIO library as quickly as possible, it is recommended that new users follow these steps:
1. Read the following `FITS Primer' chapter for an overview of the structure of FITS files. This is especially important for users who are unfamiliar with the FITS table and image extensions.
2. Write a simple program to read or write a FITS file using the Basic Interface routines described in Chapter 6. Remember to include the `fitsio.h' file at the beginning of the program.
3. Refer to the cookbook.c program that is included with this release for examples of routines that perform various common FITS file operations.
4. Read Chapters 4 and 5 to become familiar with the conventions and advanced features of the CFITSIO interface. Note especially the section on code optimization.
5. Scan through the more extensive set of routines that are provided in the `Advanced Interface', as described in Chapter 7. These routines perform more specialized functions than are provided by the Basic Interface routines.